The required documentation to sell wine from an online store depends on the state in which you operate as well as the states to which you ship.
Below is a list of the most common forms you’ll need to complete as well as the licenses you’ll likely need to obtain:
- Alcohol Dealer Registration. This form is used to record your business and tax information, dealer class, and subclass and must be filed and approved by the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) prior to initiating online sales.
- A winery license from your state.
- A retailer’s license from your state. IMPORTANT: Just because you can sell locally doesn’t necessarily mean you can sell online.
- A shipper’s license for each state to which you plan on shipping. This proves you are a licensed and authorized alcohol seller.
- Direct shipping agreements with all of your carriers.
In the next section, we’ll take a more thorough look at what it takes to legally sell wine online.